Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lagercrantz: I’m not speculative – NRK

Ever since it became known that David Lagercrantz would write a new book in Stieg Larsson’s universe, it has stormed around him.

Several Norwegian writers have reacted to the release, calling it including “unpalatable” and “a literary sacrilege of the dead”.

NRK hit Lagercrantz in Stockholm for a quick interview.

– As a former journalist must have been aware that it was going to be trouble around “What inte dödar us”?

– No, actually not. This has exploded. I could not imagined that it would be like this. It has pushed back boundaries. It is absolutely insane. I knew it was going to be a lot of fuss, but not like this.

– Will you be able to endure the pressure?

– I get just take one day at a time. At daytime is so far okay, because then it goes in one for my head. But at night the pounding in his head. So it is tough, really.

– What was your starting point for writing the book, you start with a clean slate?

– I had nothing. The mission I received from the publisher, was only that it should be possible to recognize Stieg Larsson universe. One would recognize themselves in this world, and while I should contribute something private. I should manage and develop something. This is my book, but I got the wonderful privilege it is to inherit the iconic characters, Lisbeth Salander. I’ve tried to do the best I can, while I have added some of my own person.

– What have been the biggest challenges in writing the book from another author’s universe?

– He was a master at creating complex universes and stories with many threads. Such requires a lot of thought. Lisbeth Salander is an iconic figure, so I was terrified to not render her justice. I went through it again and again and asked myself: Is this Lisbeth? I’ve had nightmares about that I would not be able to live up to her irony explosive force.

– Stood you completely free?

I was completely free, but we all had the same vision to both manage and develop the drug. The publisher and I discussed and wondered how people would behave in different situations. It was fun. It was a way to get to know the characters on.

– Do you feel overshadowed by Stieg Larsson?

– For me it is just wonderful to be involved and develop these characters. I think that I grow as a writer by going into such a different world. These are characters who really deserve to live. Think about Arthur Conan Doyle had said that no one should touch Sherlock Holmes?

– Several Norwegian crime writers are very critical that you wrote a new book in the Millennium series. Anne Holt goes so far as to call the book for literary sacrilege of the dead. What do you say to that?

– It is totally shameless. It is complete foolishness. I do the contrary his writing a service. It makes me hurt, however, Eva Gabrielson (Larsson’s partner, journ.anm.). It make me genuinely sorry that you have not agreed rights.

– You have said that you feel outraged when someone alleges that you are speculative when writing a new Millennium novel. But how is that not speculative to earn money writing a sequel to another author’s life work after his death?

– I’ve never worked so hard, and I have enough money. Discussion is however fine. It’s fine to discuss literature. I am not speculative at all. This is pure light and love from my side. I also increased the interest in his books, and not just for my book. Larsson’s life’s work gets a lot of money. I do not think anyone should impose limits on what people can do with literature. Why do some writing television series, while it is not going to do the same with books, I wonder. But let people have their ethical principles. How are the discussions about literature, and it is important. It’s about caring.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment